Pizza on the Grill is a delicious and fun way to enjoy homemade pizza with a smoky and crispy crust, similar to those cooked in a wood-fired oven. Grilling pizza adds a unique flavor and texture that you can’t achieve with a traditional oven. It’s a fantastic option for outdoor gatherings, summer parties, or simply a delightful weeknight dinner.
The process of making pizza on the grill involves a few key steps:
- 1 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
- 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1 pinch white sugar
- 3 ⅓ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ¼ cup tomato sauce, divided
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes, divided
- ¼ cup sliced black olives, divided
- ¼ cup roasted red peppers, drained and chopped, divided
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh basil, divided
- Pizza Dough: You start by preparing the pizza dough from scratch. Dissolve yeast and a pinch of sugar in warm water and let it sit until it becomes frothy. Then, mix in all-purpose flour, olive oil, and salt until the dough comes together. Knead the dough until it becomes smooth and elastic, and then let it rise until it doubles in size. Punch down the dough, knead in minced garlic and chopped fresh basil, and let it rise again.
- Garlic Oil: While the dough is rising, you can make garlic oil by combining olive oil with minced garlic. This flavorful oil will be brushed onto the grill grates and the pizza crusts, adding a delicious garlicky touch.
- Shaping the Pizza: Divide the risen dough into two portions and shape them into oblong shapes. Carefully place each piece of dough on the hot grill, where it will puff up quickly. Once the bottom crust is lightly browned, flip the dough over and brush it with the garlic oil.
- Toppings: Now comes the fun part—adding the toppings! You can use tomato sauce, chopped tomatoes, black olives, roasted red peppers, mozzarella cheese, and fresh basil. Feel free to customize the toppings according to your preferences.
- Grilling: Close the grill lid and cook the pizzas until the cheese melts and the crust is perfectly cooked with beautiful grill marks.
The result is a mouthwatering grilled pizza with a crispy, smoky crust and a burst of flavors from the toppings. The smokiness from the grill elevates the pizza to a whole new level, making it a delightful and unique culinary experience.
Pizza on the Grill is a versatile dish that allows you to be creative with your toppings and enjoy the process of outdoor cooking. It’s an excellent activity for family and friends to participate in, where everyone can customize their pizzas to their liking.
Pair your grilled pizza with a fresh salad, grilled vegetables, or even grilled garlic bread for a complete and satisfying meal. It’s a wonderful way to savor the flavors of summer and create unforgettable memories with loved ones.
So, fire up the grill, get your pizza dough ready, and prepare to indulge in the delightful experience of making and enjoying Pizza on the Grill. With its smoky flavor, crispy crust, and endless topping possibilities, this dish is sure to become a favorite in your home.
While the dough is rising, you’ll make the garlic oil by combining olive oil with minced garlic and heating it in the microwave. This flavorful oil will be used to brush the grill grates and the pizza crusts.
Once the dough has completed its final rise, divide it into two portions and shape them into oblong shapes. Carefully place each piece of dough on the hot grill, and they will puff up almost immediately. Once the bottom crust is lightly browned, flip the dough over and quickly brush it with the garlic oil.
Now comes the fun part—adding the toppings! Spread tomato sauce, chopped tomatoes, sliced black olives, chopped roasted red peppers, shredded mozzarella cheese, and fresh basil leaves on top of the crust. Close the grill lid and cook until the cheese melts and the crust is cooked to perfection.
The result is a delectable grilled pizza with a crispy, smoky crust and a medley of delightful toppings. Feel free to customize your grilled pizza with your favorite ingredients, but remember not to overload it, as a balanced amount of toppings will ensure even cooking and a fantastic flavor experience.
Serve the grilled pizza with a side salad or other grilled goodies to make it a complete and satisfying meal. The rich flavors of the grilled pizza will be a hit at any summer party or gathering, impressing your guests with its authentic taste and the joy of outdoor cooking.
So, fire up the grill, prepare your pizza dough, and get ready to create your own masterpiece of grilled pizza with all the flavors and goodness of a wood-fired oven right in your backyard!